The Story Continues...

Sunday, November 09, 2008

I saw God last night....

....at a High School football game. No, not the place you are really looking, huh? Maybe some people should be- tempers get a little out of hand sometimes! Let me tell you what happened...



Our oldest daughter has a boyfriend (we'll call him M)- yes, I know, I know. Not something we like to think about either, but he is a very respectful, Godly boy. Anyway, we went last night to watch him play. M is one of 6 children, and one of his older brothers (G) also plays. G just got the boot off his leg recently due to a fracture but decided to play in last night's game regardless. Guess what? He broke his leg!!! Again!! This time G broke both bones in his lower leg. An ambulance was called, etc...etc....

Our family, another family and several of the teens go to Waffle House after every game. Last night after the game M (the boyfriend) came over to us head hanging and tears streaming down his face. All the boys on the team are very emotional about winning/losing so I didn't know what to think about it. He is a strong, confindent teenage boy and he was CRYING in front of everyone! M's father was about to leave to go to the hospital and asked M if he wanted to join us at Waffle House or go see G. I saw God at that moment. Here was a boy tired, broken down and in pain (mental as well as physical). He looked at his father and said, "Dad, it's G. I have to go to the hospital." Now, I don't know about you but I know of several teens who would have jumped at the chance to join a girlfriend, boyfriend or group of friends for a meal out. This boy didn't. I could see the pain in his eyes and the aching he felt for his brother.

I couldn't help but think about 3 things. First, how much I love this boy! Second, how much love he has for his brother and what an incredible bond they have. And third, and most profound to me was that I could visualize at that moment how heartwrenching it is for God to see us broken. Physically broken, mentally broken and straying from Him. I can see the tears streaming down God's face when we are hurt just as I saw in M last night. But regardless of how we treat Him, turn away from Him and try to handle things in our own worldly way, He still wants to be with us. He still excepts us. And we can still count on Him. Especially when we are broken.

I thank the Lord tonight for allowing me to be there to witness what I did. My heart aches for the pain M was in for his brother, but God shown through him and for that I am grateful.

In Him,
E

No comments: