I have been in overhaul/simplify/get rid of the junk mode for several months now. Just as we must be intentional about moments spent and memories made, we must be intentional about what comes into our home.
I don't like toys. There I said it. I have 6 children and cannot stand toys. But it's not the toys that necessarily make me lose my mind. Well, actually it is.:) What purpose does a toy serve if all my children have to do is push one silly, light up, flashy button and the toy does the rest? Where is the imagination and cognitive processing? Where is the fine motor workout?
So....our "big room" now looks much different. We have cut our toy inventory by at least half. In order for an item to stay in our home, it must serve a very specific purpose.
A year or so ago I began reading this blog and fell in love with light panels. The possibilities for these things are endless!!!!! Because the girls needed nothing and we refused to bring the nonsense toys back into our home, both Celia and Kate received one of these for Christmas.
They. Are. AWESOME!!!! Daily we break out the light panels and spend at least 20-30 minutes playing. They also received-
Mirror blocks (found here)
Colored water blocks (found here)
Translucent blocks (found here)
In some of the pictures, you will also notice translucent spiders and screw together, translucent colored pill jars. I picked these up at our local dollar store. I am keeping an eye out for inexpensive items we can add to our light panel supply box. We also have colored water beads that will come out soon.....maybe. I am just a bit worried about the risk of consumption with those.:) Also, we still need to purchase another plexiglass mirror. Our last one didn't survive some young guests we had visit.
I can see our panels getting extensive use over the next 10, 15 years. The fun and possibilities for creativity are limitless. Water beads, paint, sand, colored rice, big mirrors, color sorting, nature exploring, letter recognition and on and on. Totally worth the investment.
I can see our panels getting extensive use over the next 10, 15 years. The fun and possibilities for creativity are limitless. Water beads, paint, sand, colored rice, big mirrors, color sorting, nature exploring, letter recognition and on and on. Totally worth the investment.
I do believe that our next purchase will be Magna-Tiles. These would look amazing on the panels.






No comments:
Post a Comment