The Story Continues...

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Spirit of Adoption

The Bible is clear. In short TAKE CARE OF ORPHANS. I say it over and over- not everyone is called to adopt but everyone is called to CARE for orphans. Pray. Support a family who is adopting. Etc, etc, etc.

I just finished "The Spirit of Adoption" by Randy and Kelsey Bohlender. Get it. Read it. I have marked so many pages that whacked me in the head that I've just decided to read it again and keep my highlighter on my nightstand while doing so. The Bohlenders are living, breathing disciples who have joined forces with Christ to put orphans in families.

The book not only talks about adoption, but speaks clearly about raising children in God's word and abortion.

Abortion- My heart is strong and I do not waiver on this one, I AM PRO LIFE. No 2 ways about it. Can you be pro life without being pro adoption? How can you be pro life but expect others to take care of the children? 4,500 babies are aborted every day. 4500!! I want abortion to end, but if it did who would take care of the 4,500 who every day die a painful death? Are there 4,500 families EVERY DAY who will step up to the plate to care for these unloved?! Have you ever thought about it that way?

Exact quote from "The Spirit of Adoption"-
"What would happen if abortion ended in America? What would happen to those 4,500 babies that would be born each day rather than aborted? Would they be wanted? Would the Church step up to the task of caring for the orphan, the cast off ones, the unwanted? The harder question was would we?"

I pray that the answer is "yes!!". And I pray that the Lord will use us again and again and again. Amen.
In Him,
E

5 comments:

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

I think the easy answer to that question is no - no, they wouldnt... as evidenced by the 147 million orphans out there already - even with abortion. I think abortion would almost end if there were people ready and willing to take these kids - if the parents knew that their baby was going to a loving family that wanted them, but usually thats not the case. We, as Christians, have failed in that respect, I think.

I think also a huge deal with the church is ministering to pregnant, unwed mothers... the stigma of being pregnant and unwed is almost worse than having an abortion for most girls... when we learn to reach out to these girls, we can prevent abortion instead of condemning it.

Just my 2 cents though

Anonymous said...

YES!!My answer in advance is YES!! I gotta get that book..thanks for sharing..

Envyshope said...

Excellent post! Exactly what I struggle with too! People tend to jump on the wagon with "Adoption - not Abortion!" However, they forget that we need to step up and take care of these children - including the birth mothers! They are all God's children. I respect your honesty and heart! Kelli

Stacey said...

I will have to get the book. Thank you for sharing it.

PioneerBeauty said...

Hello,
I just came across your blog while blog hopping..What a beautiful Story the Lord has written for your family's life..We have a Son with Special Needs..and I have been writing a series of post on it...We have hosted Russian Orphans and Also done Fost Adopt..we were in the process of an adoption but the Lord closed the doors..He has since kept it closed..but we continue to pray and support others that do...I look forward to reading the continuation of God's story in your life...
In Christ
Angelina