The Story Continues...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Let me pray about it...

Wow. It's been a long time since I updated these pages. Thank you to each of you who have emailed to check on me. I am fine.



I want to share a story that has been sitting and stirring in my heart for a couple of weeks. I was driving home one afternoon listening to our local Christian radio station. That particular day the station was raising money for several African villages. The money raised was going towards building facilities to educate women, provide prenatal care and assist in the care and education of these women's children. The day of fundraising was very successful. Many stories were told, but one stood out to me more than any other and it continues to play over and over in my head. It was told by one of the DJs. I don't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this-



A few weeks ago my wife came to me and said that she thought we should sponsor another child through Compassion International. You see we already sponsor one child- she thought we should add another. I looked up at her and told her that we should probably pray about it. Then I realized how stupid that statement was. "Pray about it? We should PRAY about it?!?!" Did I pray before I ran out and bought the new iPhone last week? Should I really have to pray about doing God's will? God WILL NOT be upset if we are following Him, and I do believe that sponsoring another child is giving glory to our Father in a tangible way. I didn't hesitate to run out the first chance I had and buy that iPhone. Why in the world did I hesitate to bring glory to God?



The DJs words sat with me and continue to replay in my head daily. God WILL NOT be upset if we are following HIM. He will not be upset if we are indeed helping a fellow human being. He will not be upset if we are giving HIM the glory.



I know that I have failed....too many times, I'm afraid. I wonder how many times I've missed the mark and failed our Father (and someone here on Earth) because I needed to pray about it. Now, don't get me wrong- many, many situations do require prayer and God's desire is for us to seek Him. And I have clearly heard God's "NO" before because I have prayed. But I'm afraid to think about how many times I've fallen short because I needed to take some time to pray.



I believe with my whole heart that God expects us to just GO sometimes. Don't think about it. Deep down we know what he wants, what He expects. For myself, I retreat to take time to pray because I am afraid. I am scared of what may happen if I just GO. How will this affect (inconvenience) me?


"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send?
And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaish 6:8

Of course, if you are reading this you know that my heart IS adoption. Special needs adoption has me crying buckets most days (so don't think I'm completely nuts if I loose it while talking to you.). I see time and time and TIME again God working through families who just say "yes!". Families who already have 10 children, some with special needs, who only make $30k per year. Families who know that it is humanly impossible to pay adoption fees yet follow God's command for us to care for orphans. And miraculously all fees are paid with no debt to the family. God ensures that those "yeses" are taken care of in true God fashion. I love watching Him work, but how can we see Him work if we never allow it?

I came across something a few days ago that will soon be printed and posted in my kitchen-


The pencil of God has no eraser. ~Haitian Proverb
In Him,
E

3 comments:

Holly said...

Good stuff girl.
How is Parker?
How about your angel boy?

Anna said...

Elisabeth, thank you for being part of our "impossible dream". I still am in shock that this is really my life! I am where I wanted to be for years! God is so good to allow us to have a dream and see it through till the end. SO glad we didnt give up when others thought it just wouldnt happen. SO glad we waited on Him. One more week until I am on a plane headed home with GRACE! ( as long as we get everything done in the next 5 business days mind you!) XXOO thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.